Cyclone Freddy Sets Record as Longest-Lasting Tropical Cyclone on Record
Tropical Cyclone Freddy is one of the most powerful and longest-lasting storms ever recorded in the southern hemisphere. According to the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), Freddy has been the longest-lasting tropical cyclone worldwide, lasting for at least 35 days. Preliminary results show that Freddy is likely to have established a new record as the longest-duration tropical cyclone in history, surpassing the record of 31 days set by Hurricane John in 1994.
Freddy has generated about as much accumulated cyclone energy (ACE) as an average full North Atlantic hurricane season, according to the WMO. The ACE index is used to measure the total wind energy generated by a tropical cyclone during its existence. Freddy has generated an ACE index of 72 as of March 7, 2023, making it the second most powerful cyclone ever recorded in the Southern Hemisphere, after Typhoon Ioke's ACE of 85 in 2006.
Freddy has caused immense destruction in Mozambique and Malawi, with at least 99 people dead in the former and 190 in the latter. The storm has also caused displacement of thousands of people and worsened the cholera outbreak in Malawi. On March 8, 2023, satellite footage of Cyclone Freddy approaching Madagascar was captured by the Visible Infrared Imaging Radiometer Suite (VIIRS) on the NOAA-20 satellite.
In conclusion, Cyclone Freddy has caused devastating destruction in Mozambique and Malawi, with hundreds of casualties and displacement of thousands of people. The cyclone has also set the record for the longest-lasting tropical cyclone on record, surpassing the record of 31 days set by Hurricane John in 1994.
0. “For the Longest Time” nasa.gov, 8 Mar. 2023, https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/151065/for-the-longest-time
1. “Freddy becomes longest-lived tropical cyclone on record” The Washington Post, 7 Mar. 2023, https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2023/03/07/cyclone-freddy-indian-ocean-hurricane
2. “Deadly cyclone ‘Freddy' may be the longest-lived and most energetic storm ever recorded” Livescience.com, 15 Mar. 2023, https://www.livescience.com/deadly-cyclone-freddy-may-be-the-longest-lived-and-most-energetic-storm-ever-recorded
3. “Today's top news: Tropical Storm Freddy, Syria” OCHA, 13 Mar. 2023, https://www.unocha.org/story/todays-top-news-tropical-storm-freddy-syria
4. “Record-Setting Cyclone Freddy Makes Third Landfall” The Maritime Executive, 13 Mar. 2023, https://maritime-executive.com/article/record-setting-cyclone-freddy-makes-second-landfall-in-mozambique