San Jose Police Arrest Man in Connection with Assault of Hot Dog Street Vendor
The San Jose Police Department has taken into custody a man suspected of assaulting a hot dog street vendor in the vicinity of the SAP Center in San Jose, California (KRON). This incident occurred in February. Dioscoro Reyes, 33, of Hayward was booked into the Santa Clara County Main Jail for felony assault, but he has since posted bail and is no longer in custody.
An event occurred on the 16th of February at approximately 11:43 p.m. which was filmed by a witness and shared extensively on social media. Police reported that the hot dog vendor sustained moderate injuries from the attack and was subsequently transported to a hospital. It has been reported that Reyes was reportedly disgruntled due to the delay of his order, and he demanded a free meal.
On the subsequent Saturday, the second attack took place. Carlos Sanchez was working at his food stand when an employee of a nearby business, later identified as 43-year-old Kenny Ho, assaulted him with a baseball bat. The incident was captured by Sanchez and subsequently was spread on social media. He was arrested later for allegedly committing assault with a deadly weapon and trying to carjack a vehicle.
Officials in San Jose are urging street vendors to report any incidents of assault, as the city is paying attention. At a gathering in San Jose, Councilmember Omar Torres and advocates declared their resolve to safeguard street vendors after a series of assaults near downtown. Torres stated that he and other members of the council are investigating potential solutions, such as offering aid to cover the cost of permits or reparation for vendors who have been impacted.
In addition, community members hosted a buyout event on Sunday to support the two San Jose food vendors who were attacked. Edin Alex Enamorado, one of the organizers of the event, said “street vendors don’t get days off. I think they deserve a little financial stability and the support of the community, so they can get a few days off and be able to deal with the trauma that they just went through.” Kenny Ho also apologized for his actions, stating “I continue to be embarrassed and regretful about my actions. I would like to say how sorry I am personally, and to make up for my actions.”
Anyone with information on this investigation is urged to contact Detective Erdelyi #3708 of the San José Police Department’s Assaults Unit at email@example.com or 408-277-4161.
0. “South Bay police arrest man accused of attacking vendor outside SAP Center” San Francisco Chronicle, 2 Mar. 2023, https://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/article/sap-center-south-bay-assault-vendor-17816138.php
1. “California man argues with San Jose hot dog vendor, allegedly leads to ambush, assault and arrest” Fox News, 2 Mar. 2023, https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-man-argue-san-jose-hot-dog-ventor-ambush-assault-arrest
2. “Suspect arrested in attack on food vendor outside SAP Center – KION546” KION, 2 Mar. 2023, https://kion546.com/top-stories/2023/03/02/suspect-arrested-in-attack-on-food-vendor-outside-sap-center/
3. “Community buyout held for attacked San Jose food vendors on Sunday” KRON4, 26 Feb. 2023, https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/community-buyout-held-for-attacked-san-jose-food-vendors-on-sunday
4. “‘This is an ongoing attack’: San Jose leadership speaks out against food vendor assaults” The Mercury News, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/02/23/this-is-an-ongoing-attack-san-jose-leadership-speaks-out-against-food-vendor-assaults
5. “San Jose officials call for street vendor protections” KRON4, 26 Feb. 2023, https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/san-jose-officials-call-for-street-vendor-protections/
6. “San Jose Officials Call For Street Vendor Protections” Patch, 26 Feb. 2023, https://patch.com/california/campbell/san-jose-officials-call-street-vendor-protections
7. “Man Arrested for ‘Violent' Attack on Food Vendor Outside SAP Center in San Jose: Police” NBC Bay Area, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/south-bay/arrest-food-vendor-attack-sap-center-san-jose/3170331/
8. “Community Hosts Buyout Event to Support 2 San Jose Food Vendors Who Were Attacked” NBC Bay Area, 27 Feb. 2023, https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/san-jose-community-buyout-event-food-vendors/3166664