Winter Storm to Bring Heavy Snow, High Winds, and Possible Blizzard Conditions Across 22 States
A massive winter storm is expected to bring heavy snow, high winds, and possible blizzard conditions to millions of Americans this week, stretching from the West Coast to the Northeast. The National Weather Service has issued winter weather alerts, watches, and warnings spanning across 22 states, with blizzard warnings in place for portions of Wyoming, Montana, South Dakota, Iowa, and Minnesota. In Minneapolis, a winter storm watch is in effect, with the potential for 12 to 18 inches of snow or more, and strong winds gusting up to 40 to 50 mph. This could be the biggest snowstorm in the city in 12 years, and one of the five biggest snow days ever.
In the Midwest and Northeast, snow is expected to develop and lead to significant ice accretions in the southern Great Lakes and parts of the interior Northeast. Wind gusts could reach 128.7km per hour (80 mph) and temperatures could plunge 20 to 30 degrees below average, with the wind chill making some areas feel like -32C (-25F).
In the West, heavy snow is forecast in the mountains, with 1-2 feet of snow predicted. California’s central valley could see some light snow. Northern Plains states and parts of the Midwest could get between 8 inches and 2 feet of snow. Certain regions in the Northeast are expected to get a few inches of precipitation. Rapid City, South Dakota is forecast to get 8 to 14 inches and Marquette, Michigan could get 12 to 18 inches.
Thursday could be only the fourth time that Washington, D.C. has experienced a temperature of 80 degrees during the winter season if it reaches that level. Temperatures in Orlando, Florida, could reach the
Minneapolis Public Schools have announced they will close all buildings and move to e-learning for all students for the rest of the week. At 9 p.m., both Minneapolis and St. Paul will be announcing snow emergencies. Today The high winds and heavy snow could possibly down power lines and lead to scattered power outages in the region.
Overall, this cross-country winter storm could be among the top snowstorms to ever strike Minneapolis, with the Twin Cities potentially seeing up to 2 feet of snow by the time it exits the region. In the West, heavy snow is forecast in the mountains, while in the East, temperatures could break 90 records for high temperatures Thursday, with the possibility of light snowfall in San Francisco.
0. “Millions brace for major coast-to-coast storm this week” OCRegister, 20 Feb. 2023, https://www.ocregister.com/2023/02/20/millions-brace-for-major-coast-to-coast-storm-this-week
1. “Winter storm: What you need to know about this week's wild US weather” BBC, 21 Feb. 2023, https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64722641
2. “Extreme jet stream to unleash wild weather across Lower 48” The Washington Post, 20 Feb. 2023, https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2023/02/20/extreme-weather-record-temperatures-snow
3. “Cross-country storm unleashes its wrath, causes travel mayhem due to blizzard conditions, significant icing” Fox Weather , 22 Feb. 2023, https://www.foxweather.com/weather-news/winter-storm-blizzard-ice-west-midwest-northeast
4. “Historic snowfall expected as winter storm slams US Midwest” Al Jazeera English, 22 Feb. 2023, https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/2/22/historic-snowfall-expected-as-winter-storm-slams-us-midwest
5. “Freak Forecast: Half the U.S. Set to Freeze While Other Half Faces Record-High Temps” Gizmodo, 21 Feb. 2023, https://gizmodo.com/usa-weather-half-cold-half-hot-february-forecast-1850140076
6. “Iowa winter storm makes hazardous road conditions, snow, ice Wednesday” Des Moines Register, 22 Feb. 2023, https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/weather/2023/02/22/iowa-road-conditions-hazardous-north-des-moines-snow-ice-storm/69933081007/
7. “Millions across U.S. under winter alerts as cities from California to Maine brace for snow” Yahoo! Voices, 22 Feb. 2023, https://www.yahoo.com/now/millions-across-u-under-winter-195503451.html
8. “Closings begin, officials warn of ‘historic' snowstorm's coming dangers” MPR News, 21 Feb. 2023, https://www.mprnews.org/story/2023/02/21/minnesota-historic-snow-school-closings-warnings
9. “Twin Cities metro braces for ‘extreme' snowstorm” Star Tribune, 21 Feb. 2023, https://www.startribune.com/twin-cities-metro-braces-for-record-setting-snowstorm/600253265/
10. “Winter storm to slam U.S. with blizzard conditions, record temperatures” Axios, 21 Feb. 2023, https://www.axios.com/2023/02/21/extreme-weather-historic-blizzard-record-heat-us