President Biden’s Skin Cancer Lesion Successfully Removed
President Joe Biden had a cancerous skin lesion removed from his chest during his annual physical last month, according to a letter from his longtime physician. Dr. Kevin C. O’Connor said that the biopsy confirmed the lesion was basal cell carcinoma, one of the most common types of skin cancer, and all cancerous tissue was successfully removed with no margins of residual skin cancer cells. O’Connor added that the site of the biopsy has “healed nicely” and the president will continue dermatologic surveillance as part of his ongoing comprehensive healthcare.
According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, more than 3 million cases of basal cell carcinoma, the most common form of skin cancer, are diagnosed annually. It is slow-growing, and most often occurs as a result of sun damage or UV damage. Fair-skinned people and those who have freckles and/or red hair are especially at risk. The Skin Cancer Foundation states that, through early detection and treatment, nearly all basal cell carcinomas can be safely eliminated with no issues.
O’Connor wrote in a memo that President Biden “remains a healthy, vigorous, 80-year-old male who is fit to successfully execute duties of the presidency.” In February, O’Connor also noted that basal cell carcinoma lesions do not tend to spread as some more serious skin cancers, like melanoma or squamous cell carcinoma, do.
The removal of the lesion comes at a time when Biden is considering running for another term in office and has faced repeated questions about his physical and mental fitness. If he were to win reelection, he would be 82 at the start of his second term. Nonetheless, O’Connor said that no further treatment is required and the site of the biopsy has “healed nicely.”
Overall, Biden’s health is likely to be under close scrutiny over the next two years as he is expected to run for reelection. The president’s doctor is emphasizing that no further treatment is necessary, and that the lesion has healed nicely. Early detection and treatment of skin lesions can often be successful in removing a skin cancer without complications.
0. “Biden Has Skin Cancer Lesion Removed From Chest, Doctor Says” Bloomberg, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-03/urgent-doctor-lesion-removed-from-biden-s-chest-was-cancerous
1. “Joe Biden had cancerous skin lesion removed last month, White House says” The Guardian US, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/mar/03/biden-cancerous-skin-lesion-removed-chest-white-house
2. “Biopsy found Biden's skin lesion was a common skin cancer, White House doctor says” POLITICO, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.politico.com/news/2023/03/03/biopsy-biden-common-skin-cancer-00085472
3. “President Biden Had Cancerous Skin Lesion Removed, White House Physician Says” TODAY, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.today.com/health/skin-beauty/president-biden-cancer-skin-rcna73359
4. “White House physician says small lesion removed from Biden's chest was cancerous” The Washington Post, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/03/03/biden-skin-cancer/
5. “Lesion removed from Biden's chest was a common form of skin cancer, doctor says” CNN, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/03/politics/president-biden-cancerous-lesion-removed/index.html
6. “Basal cell carcinoma: What to know following Biden's treatment” CBS News, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.cbsnews.com/news/basal-cell-carcinoma-what-to-know-following-bidens-treatment/
7. “Biden had cancerous lesion removed in February – doctor” RTE.ie, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/0303/1360186-biden-skin/
8. “Biden had skin cancer removed from chest during his physical, White House says” NPR, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.npr.org/2023/03/03/1161049252/biden-skin-cancer
9. “Biden had cancerous lesion removed, no further treatment required: doctor” The Hill, 3 Mar. 2023, https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/3883098-biden-had-cancerous-lesion-removed-no-further-treatment-required-doctor
10. “Biden has skin cancer lesion removed, White House says” The Independent, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/joe-biden-skin-cancer-health-b2293920.html
11. “Joe Biden had cancerous skin lesion removed, White House says” BBC, 3 Mar. 2023, https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64844276