Tragedy in Orlando: News Reporter Killed, Photographer Critically Injured
On Wednesday, tragedy struck Orlando, Florida, when a series of shootings left one Spectrum News 13 journalist dead and another critically injured. The news station has since identified the reporter who died as Dylan Lyons, 24, while the injured photographer is Jesse Walden.
The shootings began shortly after 11 a.m. when Orange County Sheriff deputies responded to reports of a shooting on Hialeah Street in Pine Hills, where they found a 20-year-old woman dead from a gunshot wound. Later in the day, a suspect, 19-year-old Keith Melvin Moses, entered a nearby home and shot a 9-year-old girl and her mother, killing the young girl and critically injuring the mother.
At another scene close by, staffers from Spectrum News 13 who were covering the previous shooting were shot near their vehicle. Dylan Lyons, the news reporter, was killed, while Walden was critically injured and is still in the hospital.
Moses was arrested and is being charged with murder in connection to the shooting. He is expected to face additional charges for the shootings of four people. Sheriff John Mina, who spoke during a news conference Wednesday evening, said that Moses has a “lengthy criminal history” ranging from gun charges, aggravated assault, aggravated battery, assault with a deadly weapon, burglary, and grand theft.
The girl’s mother and the other News 13 employee remain in the hospital in critical condition. White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre expressed her condolences on Twitter, saying: “Our hearts go out to the family of the journalist killed today and the crew member injured in Orange County, Florida, as well as the whole Spectrum News team.”
Charter Communications, the parent company of Spectrum 13 News, released a statement saying: “We are deeply saddened by the loss of our colleague and the other lives senselessly taken today. Our thoughts are with our employee’s family, friends and co-workers during this very difficult time. We remain hopeful that our other colleague who was injured makes a full recovery. This is a terrible tragedy for the Orlando community.”
The sheriff added that no one should become the victim of gun violence, and the news media came together in solidarity in response to the tragedy. “This is every reporter’s absolutely worst nightmare,” said Spectrum News reporter Yesenia Munoz during her report.
0. “Florida shooting spree leaves 3 people dead, including a child and a TV news employee covering one of the shootings” CNN, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/22/us/shooting-florida-orange-county/index.html
1. “5 Shot, Including 2 Journalists, in Florida: What to Know” TIME, 23 Feb. 2023, https://time.com/6257748/journalist-killed-florida-shootings
2. “9-year-old girl, TV reporter fatally shot in Central Florida neighborhood, sheriff says” WJXT News4JAX , 22 Feb. 2023, https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/2023/02/22/multiple-people-shot-in-pine-hills-neighborhood-orange-county-deputies-say/
3. “19-year-old boy kills teen, TV employee in Orlando” Punch Newspapers, 23 Feb. 2023, https://punchng.com/19-year-old-boy-kills-teen-tv-staff-in-orlando
4. “Spectrum News 13 reporter Dylan Lyons killed in Pine Hills shooting” News 13 Orlando, 22 Feb. 2023, https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2023/02/22/police–shots-fired-near-scene-of-pine-hills-murder-investigation
5. “Florida news crew shot while covering shooting near Orlando, 2 dead, including 9-year-old: police” Fox News, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-deputies-say-multiple-people-shot-near-orlando
6. “Spectrum News 13 television employee among 3 killed in Central Florida shootings; suspect arrested” WPTV News Channel 5 West Palm, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.wptv.com/news/state/channel-13-news-crew-member-killed-in-central-florida-while-covering-story
7. “Man kills 9-year-old, TV journalist after earlier fatal shooting in Florida, sheriff says” NBC News, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/man-kills-9-year-old-tv-journalist-earlier-fatal-shooting-florida-sher-rcna71902
8. “News reporter, 9-year-old killed in Central Florida shooting” WPBF West Palm Beach, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.wpbf.com/article/florida-orange-county-shooting/43032403
9. “Florida Journalist Shot And Killed While Reporting On Another Fatal Shooting” HuffPost, 23 Feb. 2023, https://www.huffpost.com/entry/florida-journalist-killed-shooting-orlando_n_63f6bb37e4b04ff5b487dbf0