Escalating Israeli-Palestinian Conflict Leads to Revenge Attack on British Sisters in West Bank
The ongoing Israeli-Palestinian conflict has once again escalated, with rising tensions at Israel's borders and in East Jerusalem. On Thursday night, the Israeli military attacked targets in Gaza and Lebanon in response to rocket fire into Israeli communities surrounding the Gaza Strip. The attack came hours after Palestinian militants launched a barrage of rockets from Lebanon, prompting Israeli warplanes to hit targets throughout the night. The situation remains tense, with two British sisters shot dead and their mother critically wounded in a revenge attack in the West Bank on Friday.
The attack on the sisters occurred as they drove through the Jordan Valley, and is believed to be a response to the Israeli missile attacks on Lebanon and Gaza. The victims were family members, with the two daughters murdered and the mother in critical condition. The father, who was driving a separate vehicle, witnessed the deadly attack. The Magen David Adom ambulance service confirmed the deaths of the two sisters and the serious injury of their mother.
The situation in the region has been volatile for some time, with tensions escalating during the holy Muslim month of Ramadan. Palestinian militants have launched rocket barrages from both Lebanon and Gaza, while Israeli forces have stormed the Al-Aqsa Mosque in occupied East Jerusalem on successive days this week, firing stun grenades and attacking Palestinians as they gathered for Ramadan prayers. These incidents have led to a rise in tensions, with calls for all parties to de-escalate the situation.
In response to the attack on the sisters, Israeli Police Commissioner Kobi Shabtai has urged Israelis with a firearm license to carry their weapons, stating that “this is a murderous attack that reminds us how relevant the threat of terrorism in its various forms is.” The call for citizens to carry weapons highlights the ongoing unrest and the potential for further violence in the region.
The UK has also called for all parties to de-escalate tensions, with a Foreign Office spokesman expressing sadness at the deaths of the two British-Israeli citizens and calling for an end to the violence. The situation remains tense, with both sides continuing to exchange fire and engage in violent clashes. It is unclear how the situation will develop, but the ongoing conflict highlights the need for a peaceful resolution to the long-standing Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
0. “Two killed in occupied West Bank after Israel bombs Gaza, Lebanon” Al Jazeera English, 7 Apr. 2023, https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/4/7/two-israeli-settlers-killed-3-wounded-in-west-bank-shooting
1. “Two British sisters killed and mother injured in West Bank shooting” The Guardian, 7 Apr. 2023, https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/apr/07/two-sisters-killed-and-mother-injured-in-west-bank-shooting
2. “Two British sisters shot dead in terrorist attack in West Bank” The Telegraph, 7 Apr. 2023, https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/04/07/israel-palestine-terror-killed-reserve-fighter-pilots/
3. “Israel: 3 Wounded In Terrorist Shooting In Jordan Valley – I24NEWS” i24NEWS, 7 Apr. 2023, https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/israel/defense/1680856111-israel-3-wounded-in-terrorist-shooting-in-jordan-valley
4. “Two Israeli Sisters Killed, Mother Critically Wounded in Shooting Attack in Northern West Bank – Israel News” Haaretz, 7 Apr. 2023, https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/2023-04-07/ty-article/.premium/three-israelis-severely-wounded-in-shooting-attack-in-the-countrys-north/00000187-5ad6-dcdb-a9af-daffbfe40000